Bearsden Cross Parish Church, Glasgow
AddressBearsden Cross Parish Church , 61 Drymen Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 2SU
HighlightThree light window - 'The Risen Lord & St Mary Magdalene'
Artist, maker and dateDesigned by Margaret Chilton and executed by John Blyth, 1954-55
Reason for highlighting
A large three light Venetian style war memorial window in the north transept, that is a fine example of Chilton’s style. The upper part of the central panel depicts the Risen Lord and Mary Magdalene, while the lower portion shows a dark dramatic portrayal of Christ’s anguish in the garden of Gethsemane – black hair and black beard in contrast to his red robe, his clasped hands upheld from above him by an angel’s hands.
Margaret Isobel Chilton (1875-1963) trained at the Royal College of Art, where she was taught by Christopher Whall and Alfred Drury. In 1906 she opened her own studio in her native Bristol, before moving to Glasgow in 1918, to take up a post as designer at McLundie’s Abbey Studio. Here she met Marjorie Kemp, a graduate of the Glasgow School of Art. They both moved to Edinburgh where they set up in partnership in 1922, designing windows individually, but making them together.
John Blyth (1915-99) studied at the Edinburgh College of Art under Herbert Hendrie, later joining his studio. He went on to work with several other firms over the years, including Clokey’s in Belfast and Shrigley & Hunt, but also had his own studio and in 1947 shared a studio with Margaret Chilton and Marjorie Kemp. He also worked with William Wilson from time to time, especially towards the end of Wilson’s life when his sight was failing.
Source: 200 Scottish Stained Glass Artists by Rona H Moody in The Journal of Stained Glass Scotland Issue Vol XXX (2006)