John Blyth (1915-99) studied at the Edinburgh College of Art under Herbert Hendrie, later joining his studio. He went on to work with several other firms over the years, including Clokey’s in Belfast and Shrigley & Hunt, but also had his own studio and in 1947 shared a studio with Margaret Chilton and Marjorie Kemp. He also worked with William Wilson from time to time, especially towards the end of Wilson’s life when his sight was failing.
Source: 200 Scottish Stained Glass Artists by Rona H Moody in The Journal of Stained Glass Scotland Issue Vol XXX (2006)
John Blyth and the Worshipful Company of Glaziers
The Worshipful Company of Glaziers was founded in 1328 and remains dedicated to the art and craft of stained glass. In recent times the emphasis has moved from the protection of the personal economic welfare of Glaziers to the preservation of the heritage of stained glass and the support of continuing high standards.
A key part of this work has been the annual competition for young artists, which began in 1932 and which, since 1982, has operated under the banner of the Stevens Competition, the premier competition for stained glass artists in the UK.
John Blyth was a prize winner in 1938-39.