Betton & Evans
Sir John Betton (c.1765-1849) came from a family of glaziers based in Shrewsbury since the 17th century, and was making stained glass by 1806. He was knighted c.1818.
David Evans (1793-1861) was one of the most important artists associated with the revival of stained glass in the pre-Victorian age. He was born in Wales and apprenticed to John Betton in 1808. The two men went into partnership in 1815 as Betton & Evans. Evans retained the name of the firm following the retirement of Betton in 1825. Despite changing fashions Evans retained a pictorial style, as demonstrated in one of his best windows, the east window of St Julian’s church, Shrewsbury, 1861. His sons William (1826-85) and Charles (1828-64) continued to make stained glass as Evans Brothers. The business eventually closed in the 1930s.
Stained Glass Marks & Monograms, complied by Joyce Little, and edited by Angela Goedicke & Margaret Washbourn (NADFAS, 2002)
Victorian Stained Glass by Martin Harrison (Barrie & Jenkins, 1980)
The Churches of Shropshire & their treasures by John Leonard (Logaston Press, 2004)