Dixon, John

John Dixon (1783-1857) was a churchwarden at St Peter Mancroft, Norwich, plumber-glazier, and former manufacturer of water closets. He removed seven medieval panels from the east window to make way for his own figure of St Peter. Some of the discarded medieval originals were acquired by William Howe Windham (1802–1854) of nearby Felbrigg Hall, where they were installed by Dixon alongside panels of his own manufacture (King, Medieval Stained Glass, pp. lxvii–lxviii, 172–75).

Source: Quoted in Brown S., (2020) “Medieval Stained Glass and the Victorian Restorer”, 19: Interdisciplinary Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century 2020(30).

This artist's work is mentioned at the following locations