Harry William Harvey FMGP (1922-2011) was born in Birmingham and received his initial training in stained glass from the local firm of Pierce & Cutler. After the war he joined Wippells of Exeter, before moving to York at the instigation of another Wippells old boy, Harry Stammers, with whom he worked until establishing his own studio in 1956. Two of his assistants, Ann Sotheran and Sep Waugh also went on to establish their own studios.
Harry Harvey and the Worshipful Company of Glaziers
The Worshipful Company of Glaziers was founded in 1328 and remains dedicated to the art and craft of stained glass. In recent times the emphasis has moved from the protection of the personal economic welfare of Glaziers to the preservation of the heritage of stained glass and the support of continuing high standards.
A key part of this work has been the annual competition for young artists, which began in 1932 and which, since 1982, has operated under the banner of the Stevens Competition, the premier competition for stained glass artists in the UK.
Harry Harvey won an award from the Company in 1950-51 and his compeition panel is shown opposite.