Harry James Stammers (1902-69) career in glass began with an apprenticeship with James Powell & Sons, in conjunction with evening classes at Saint Martin’s School of Art. He stayed with Powells until 1943, when he joined J. Wippell & Co. in Exeter for a couple of years before setting up as an independent artist. In 1947 he was encouraged to relocate to York by the Dean of York Minster, Eric Milner-White, in order to revive the tradition of the York School of Glass Painting. He was assisted by Harry Harvey, in an important prelude to his own career. He remained in York until 1960, before spending his final years in Bradwell, near Milton Keynes.
Source: The stained glass windows of Harry Stammers by Henry Hinchcliffe (Mindelph Press, 2016)