Shrigley & Hunt
Shrigley & Hunt was founded in Lancaster 1874 by Arthur Hunt when he took over Hudson & Shrigley. Having worked for Heaton and Butler & Bayne at the time that Henry Holiday was supplying designs for the firm, he also sought to supply lighter, more natural and intelligible interpretations of biblical and other narratives in stained glass. His principal designer was Carl Almquist, a pupil of Henry Holiday, who with E.H. Jewitt (1849-1929) was responsible for most of the output for forty years. Hunt died in 1917, but the firm continued until 1982 under the leadership of Joseph Fisher (1911-82), who progressively modernised the output of the firm. John Blyth designed for the firm in the 1950s, as did Harry Harvey from the 1950s until the mid-1970s.
Damozels and Deities: Pre-Raphaelite Stained Glass 1870–1898 by William Waters (Seraphim, 2017)
Stained Glass from Shrigley & Hunt of Lancaster and London by William Waters (Lancaster: Centre for North-West Regional Studies University of Lancaster, 2003)
The Arts and Crafts Movement in the North West of England: A Handbook by Barrie Armstrong and Wendy Armstrong, (Oblong, 2005)
Victorian Stained Glass by Martin Harrison (Barrie & Jenkins, 1980)