Goddard and Gibbs
Founded in 1868 as Walter Gibbs and Sons, a decorative glass firm in Blackfriars, London, the company went through some takeovers and mergers before becoming Goddard and Gibbs in 1938.
After the Second World War the company became a leader in the production of new stained glass windows, aided by excellent designers such as Arthur Edward Buss(1905-1999) and his successor John Lawson (1932-2009). It became the largest glass design and fabrication studio in the UK. A dedicated conservation department was founded in 1994 under the leadership of Drew Anderson.
The studio’s success was further enhanced by Charles Clark, who took over the company in 1978, when it was renamed Goddard & Gibbs Studios Ltd. Clark concentrated on developing an overseas market, and soon Goddards was regularly designing, making and exporting stained and decorative glass for palaces and mosques in the Middle East, cathedrals in Africa, cruise ships in Japan, and Mormon temples across the USA and worldwide. At this time the studios won the Queen’s Award for Industry.
Harry Cardross became senior designer in 1996 and was responsible for the design of Goddard’s contemporary architectural glass commissions, maintaining its worldwide export drive.
The company offered practical training for both graduates and apprentices to the highest standard. Many current independent glass artists owe their success to the opportunities offered by the dedicated staff at Goddard and Gibbs.
Source: Phillida Shaw
Further reading: John Lawson ‘Faith Craft Works and Goddard and Gibbs Studio Ltd’ The Journal of Stained Glass, vol. xxiii (1999), 55-61.