Joachim Klos was among the most innovative glass-painters of the post-war period. Born in Weida (in Thuringia), he studied in Weimar (1949–51) and subsequently at the Werkkunstschule (School of Applied Arts) in Krefeld (1952–56). He was active as a freelance artist in Mönchengladbach from 1957, and then in Nettetal-Schaag from 1968.
Klos saw the appeal of translating the techniques of graphic art, such as woodcutting, screen printing, and kinetics, into glass-painting, thereby developing a very unconventional, multi-facetted pictorial language that combines the figurative and the abstract with each other. In the 1980s, he taught in Britain, the USA, and Australia.