Ballantine of Edinburgh
Ballantine of Edinburgh was founded by James Ballantine (1808-77) in 1838 and was one of the leaders in the revival of stained glass in Scotland. The firm traded under various names over the years as James was successively succeeded by his son Alexander Ballantine (1841-1906), who was also in partnership for a period with Herbert Gardiner, and grandson James Ballantine II (1878-1940).
During the second half of the 19th century, Ballantine of Edinburgh was, by far, the favoured stained glass firm of the rich, famous and well connected. The firm’s works can be seen across Scotland, notably in Edinburgh Castle, the Scott Monument, and The Wallace Monument.
Source: 200 Scottish Stained Glass Artists by Rona H Moody in The Journal of Stained Glass Scotland Issue Vol XXX (2006)