Caroline Townshend (1878-1944) decided to take up stained glass design after two years at the Slade School in London. Having asked Christopher Whall to take her on as a pupil, she was able to completed her education by assisting in his studio, while also attending his evening classes at the Central School of Arts & Crafts, before setting up on her own in 1909. She was introduced to Joan Howson in 1912, who she took on as an apprentice. After a break for war work, they formed a partnership in 1920, where Townshend led on design, while both collaborated in the making.
Source: Women Stained Glass Artists of the Arts and Craft Movement (London Borough of Waltham Forest, libraries and Arts Department, 1985)