Scott, Stanley Murray
Stanley Murray Scott (1912-1997) was the chief designer for over forty years in the stained glass studios of Reed, Millican and Co Ltd of Newcastle upon Tyne and his work is to be found in many churches in the Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria and Yorkshire.
He was born and brought up in Sunderland, educated at Bede Colligate Boys’ School, Sunderland College of Art and finally at Armstrong College, Newcastle which was part of Durham University at the time.
When making a window, he used only handmade glass from Hartley, Wood & Co. of Sunderland. This firm was renowned for its coloured glass of unrivalled quality. The firm recently closed, but its glass making equipment became part of the new National Glass Centre in Sunderland University.