James Pearson (c.1740-1838), who played a significant role in the revival of English enamel glass painting, was born in Dublin in the mid-1700s. He trained in the Bristol ceramics industry before moving to London, where he was a pupil of William Price the Younger. His speciality was large-scale copies of well-known paintings in which the supporting lead and iron work were skilfully concealed by complex technical means. A life-sized portrait of George III of 1793 (after Sir Joshua Reynolds) in the Stained Glass Museum in Ely Cathedral, and the east window of St Botolph, Aldersgate, of 1788—The Agony in the Garden (after Charles Le Brun)—are highly characteristic works. In 1768 he married Eglington Margaret Paterson, who was also a very talented artist.