Guthrie, J. & W.
J & W Guthrie was the most important and prolific of the new studios to emerge in Glasgow in the 1880s. The brothers, John (1849-1915) and William (1850-1897), both trained at the Glasgow School of Art and formed a partnership c.1874, following on from the firm of painters and decorators founded by their father John Guthrie Sr. (1823-1875) in 1850. They began making stained glass c.1884, using a variety of designers.
William’s son John Gordon Guthrie (1874-1961) worked for the company before emigrating to the USA in 1896, where he had a long and productive career.
Andrew Wells had joined the firm in 1895 and it became J. & W. Guthrie & Andrew Wells in 1897.
Source: Scotland’s Stained Glass Making the colours sing by Michael Donnelly (Historic Scotland, 1977)