Frampton, Edward Reginald

Edward Reginald Frampton, Christ with the Doctors in the Temple, west window of the north aisle (1891), Church of St Deiniold, Hawarden, Flintshire.
Photo: Peter Hildebrand

Edward Reginald Frampton (1845-1928) was born in Woolwich, and was one of a number of stained glass artists to emerge from the studio of Clayton & Bell. For a period up until the autumn of 1876 he was in partnership with W. F. Dixon and C. G. Hean. When Dixon left he stayed in partnership with Hean for another year. He then established his own practice in Buckingham Palace Road, London. His son, also called Edward Reginald Frampton (1872-1923), is best known for his easel painting, although he did work with his father for a short period in the 1890s.

A number of Frampton’s windows, made between 1880 and c.1908, can be seen at the Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire.

Source: Stained Glass Marks & Monograms, complied by Joyce Little, and edited by Angela Goedicke & Margaret Washbourn (NADFAS, 2002)