Stephens, Revd. Francis William
Francis William Stephens (1921-2002) attended Goldsmiths College and the Royal College of Art before taking his first professional post with Martin Travers. After Travers’ death in 1948, Stephens moved to the Faith Craft Studio, which had been established by The Society of the Faith to make a variety of church furnishings. Stephens became managing director in 1956 and he stayed until changing market conditions persuaded The Society to close the business in 1968. Stephens continued to work both after the closure of Faith Craft and after taking Holy Orders in 1970. Stephens early work in particular owes much to Travers, as can be seen in the east window (1953) at the church of St Mary, Lambeth, now the Garden Museum. The image shown here is from the west window of the south aisle and was produced four years later in 1957.
Martin Travers His Life and work by Michael Yelton (Spire Books, 2016)
Stained Glass Marks & Monograms, complied by Joyce Little, and edited by Angela Goedicke & Margaret Washbourn (NADFAS, 2002)